Winter Salad with Warm Pesto Whole Grain Croutons
It’s so quick and easy to make healthy meals that the whole family will enjoy - as this recipes proves.
Cost Per Serving
50p - 74p
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories216 kcal
Calories are a measure of the amount of energy in food and drink. Your weight depends on the balance between how much energy you consume and how much energy you use up. If you eat or drink more than you use you can gain weight. If you don’t eat enough you can lose it.
On average as a nation it seems we’re consuming too much saturated fat. Eating too much can increase your cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease. Replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats can help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Fibre is classed as a carbohydrate and you should aim to eat 30g fibre each day. Eating plenty of fibre is good for your digestive health and is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
Thanks for rating. Now leave a tip or review
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Place the onions, oil and 1 tbsp vinegar on a baking tray, toss together and roast for 15 minutes.
- For the croutons, tear the baguette into bite sized pieces and toss with the pesto until evenly coated. Scatter over the onions and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, mix the spinach, tomatoes and remaining vinegar together, toss in the onion and croutons and serve immediately.
- Try using sun dried tomato paste instead of pesto or try adding some quartered boiled eggs.